Riverston School (www.riverstonschool.co.uk) was founded in 1926 in Blackheath, south-east London and moved to its present site in Lee Green in 1927. The school was founded on wide-ranging Christian and social values and is deliberately non-selective and co-educational. Initially the school focused on enrolling boys and girls from 5 years to 11 years preparing them for admission into major local independent secondary schools. In 1956, the school changed ownership when the current family acquired the school.
Soon thereafter a senior girl’s school and a nursery was added in nearby Blackheath and when the Lewis family was able to acquire adjacent freehold properties, the senior girl’s school was expanded to include boys, and, along with the nursery relocated to our current, expanded site in Eltham Road, Lee Green, London. SE12 during the early 1960’s.
Riverston quickly expanded its pupil numbers and age range becoming a mainstream, co-educational, non-selective day school for several hundred pupils from 12 months to 16 years. Since 1990, Riverston has been owned and managed by Prof. Michael Lewis and his wife Janina who have made a number of successful acquisitions and disposals, including:
- Management International Ltd – this private college, based in Bournemouth, provided EFL and TEFL courses as well as offering a large number of professional business courses. The college was also one of the largest training providers for YTS students in Dorset. (The college was sold following the sudden and untimely death of a member of the Lewis family who was managing the business.)
- Lime House School – a fully accredited ISA/ISC day and boarding school near Carlisle in the Lake District. Lime House was acquired after the threat of closure from its previous owners, but the school was quickly transformed into a thriving school. (After 8 years the school was sold to three of its then existing parents.)
- Chateau de la Baudonniere, Normandy, France – established a specialist education, language immersion centre and outdoor activity centre in a listed chateau in 100+ acres for independent UK schools including Rugby School, Francis Holland, Ibstock Place, Colfe’s and many more. (Due to its prodigious growth and success the Chateau was sold to a specialist travel organisation.)
- London Children’s Practice – a specialist assessment, diagnostic and therapeutic children’s clinic in London’s Harley Street enclave. Working with children from all over the world, LCP established an excellent international reputation and worked with more than 25 schools in London assisting them with speech language therapy, occupational therapy and educational psychology services. In addition, considerable work was undertaken overseas especially in the Middle East, Indian sub-continent and the UAE. (LCP was sold to one of its international clients.)
Some extracts from Riverstons latest Ofsted accredited Independent Schools Inspection (ISI), January 28th-31st, 2014:
- ‘The personal development is excellent throughout the school including EYFS’
- ‘The quality of pastoral care provided throughout the school and in the EYFS is excellent’
- ‘95% of ALL parents who responded to the confidential ISI parental questionnaire gave their total support to the school’
- ‘The spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of pupils is excellent’
- ‘Pupils demonstrate excellent cultural understanding’
- ‘The pastoral tracking system is a strength of the school’
- ‘The excellent personal development of the pupils, and the warm supportive atmosphere of the school, are the result of the nurturing ethos that has been created by the strong leadership and management provided by those with pastoral responsibilities in accordance with the schools aims to build confidence and self-esteem and prepare the pupils for the next stage in their education’
- ‘Provision for EYFS children’s well-being is outstanding. The sensitive and dedicated staff operate a highly effective key person system which enables children to form secure bonds and positive relationships. Children are happy to come to school and quickly engage with staff and the activities offered. All staff provide excellent role models. They give clear guidance on behaviour and make safety of all children the highest priority’.
The Riverston Group
Riverston Group Ltd has been established to capitalise on the success of Riverstons innovative inclusive, integrated and bespoke curriculum delivery model. The groups objective is to develop a UK-based UK and international educational and training group focused on providing a wide range of educational opportunities in tandem with vocational and life-skills training to students of differing abilities – including those who are gifted with exceptional talents, as well as those with learning difficulties and disabilities. Working within a mainstream setting, often with sensitive and vulnerable students, Riverston will provide a world-class, inclusive and integrated education providing a bespoke programme for all its students.
The Riverston Group will become an organisation that specialises in the establishment and/or management of high quality UK and international schools and colleges. Riverston is presently considering a number of UK acquisitions as well as the establishment of new schools overseas.
The Riverston Group comprises:- Riverston Properties Ltd; Riverston Schools (UK) Ltd; and, Riverston International Ltd. In addition the Foundation for Innovation, Creativity and Enterprise (www.fice.org.uk) and Phronesis Educational Consultants are part of the Group.
Prof. Michael Lewis,
Riverston Group Ltd
63-69, Eltham Road,
London. SE12 8UF, UK
Mob: +44 (0) 7811 160582
Tel: +44 (0) 208 318 4327
Fax: +44 (0) 208 297 0514
Click here for link to:-
Riverston School website – www.riverstonschool.co.uk
FICE website – www.fice.org.uk